Standardized testing in no way improves education

Standardized tests have been associated with the American school system since the mid-1800s. They have been known to cause stress and anxiety among many students. But overall, it’s my belief that they also can’t accurately measure students’ performance and improve their achievements. Due to the simplicity of the multiple choice format in standardized testing, students aren’t allowed to think rationally and the test ultimately dulls their creativity.

Standardized testing has been proven to cause a lot of stress on younger students, especially young children. Nearly 700 school districts claim that state tests cause greater anxiety than local assessments. That means that around 19 percent of U.S. school districts have shown they cause anxiety.

Additionally, six out of ten school psychologists have said they increases anxiety, which shows that something needs to change. Students become so anxious that they do everything but focus on the tests. Standardized tests cannot improve students ability to comprehend a subject if they are constantly worrying about the best score results.

These types of tests, such as the SAT, don’t have a positive effect on the students. They don’t expand too much on one subject but focus on important basic skills. Multiple choice questions don’t allow students to think rationally, but instead stunts their ability to think up creative answers.

However, when you regularly incorporate simplicity into tests, students start to adapt to that way of thinking. Making them think more on their own, without multiple choice, makes them have to come up with an original answer. Thinking beyond can help students get better jobs in the future. These tests have much more value than standardized tests, which can in no way improve the education of the modern day student or prepare them for the world we live in.

13 thoughts on “Standardized testing in no way improves education

• October 16, 2017 at 11:22 am

I agree that standardized don’t help students. Every time that I take the SAT, I always feel stressed out in hoping that I will do good on the test. Then I don’t do as good as what I would like to do. These test don’t help out students get ready to go and join the workforce.

• October 16, 2017 at 11:20 am

I completely agree. I think standardized testing only tests our ability to take tests. Thanks for bringing awareness to the subject!

• October 16, 2017 at 10:04 am

I agree that standardized testing serves no purpose for students academically, its more of how much material you can cram into your memory. Also tests like the SAT are just one of the few ways for the state to see how students work under timed and high pressure situations, which I believe serve no value for high school students.

• October 16, 2017 at 10:02 am

I agree that standardized testing serves no purpose for students academically, its more of how much material you can cram into your memory. Also tests like the SAT is just a way to see how students work under timed and high pressure situations which serve students no value. I assumed already that these state test cause large amounts of stress and anxiety but I was surprised by just how many students this really affected.

• October 16, 2017 at 9:57 am

I agree with this article, especially when she says, ” Standardized tests cannot improve students ability to comprehend a subject if they are constantly worrying about the best score results.” I believe this statement is true and has been proven.

• October 16, 2017 at 9:46 am

Usually in tests, especially big ones, student cram everything in their brain and forget it right after. What’s the point in the student is just going to forget the information?

• October 16, 2017 at 8:29 am

Standardized testing caters to people who can afford cram/tutoring sessions and doesn’t actually test students knowledge. I think it doesn’t accurately represent students and is a waste of time and money.

• October 16, 2017 at 8:26 am

I also agree that standardized tests don’t allow students to think of creative and original answers, but what’s a better way to educationally test students?

• October 2, 2017 at 1:32 pm

While the tests do not test the student overall, they only test how much the student can remember. The students should be tested to rule out their ability but they should also take other things into account.

• October 2, 2017 at 1:31 pm

I did not know most of this information. I am very surprised that 19 percent of the students experienced. I agree with this article

• October 2, 2017 at 1:30 pm

I agree that standardized tests do not help student. They serve no academic value in my opinion and only serve to cause students anxiety and see how well they handle answering questions under pressure and time limits. I don’t think that they help students brain power or help them learn anything except pressure situations. In my opinion they are a waste of time, effort and money for the school.

• October 2, 2017 at 1:14 pm

Test cause stress.

• October 2, 2017 at 1:12 pm

I agree but it helps rule out students on capability.