Words of advice from a pro procrastinator

I procrastinated and did my summer homework in three days. During the summer break, I did not do any work because I wasn’t able to without feeling the pressure of a due date.

An older classmate who is an apa annotated bibliography maker told me that I would need at least a week to do all the homework. I proved him wrong by finishing everything in three days. I completely messed up my sleep schedule and got a perfect score on the assignment, only to find out that it was due the week after school had started.

I believe that procrastination is just a way to wait for your motivation to come and make you do work. I have the habit of procrastinating before assignments are due, even on this article that I am currently writing. It’s due on Monday morning, and it’s now 10 p.m. on Sunday. I have successfully been set into work mode through my determination to turn my assignment in on time.

Many people like to put off work until later because they are lazy. My friend Mara Moysen said, ”I like to call to call myself a perfectionist procrastinator. My work has to look good, but I also like to put off doing it. If it doesn’t look good then I will do it again even if it is due in a few hours.”

Procrastination has greatly impacted many aspects of my life, such as my sleep schedule, my social life, my will to do work, and my overall sanity. I learned that procrastination is just something that I should try to overcome, but I have slowly started to appreciate it. I learned that this internal alarm clock is mostly wrong, and tells you to do things too close to the due date. I want people to know not to trust this alarm clock, because it will trick you into thinking that if you watch that one video, or catch that one  Pokémon, or look at that one picture, you still will have the time to finish all your work.  

I have come to accept my ways of being a procrastinator, no matter how much it hurts to stay up doing homework.

From my first-hand knowledge of being a procrastinator, I suggest no one follows my example due to the overall pain and suffering caused by too much work piling up the day before it is due.

7 thoughts on “Words of advice from a pro procrastinator

• Chris Lau

I agree with procrastination. My strings attached to procrastination memory have been tugged. It speaks out to the struggle and process of procrastination. I like that it motivates you to do homework, and procrastination also motives me as well.

• rosa mariscal

I thought this article was amazing and I could relate to it so well. As a senior I have a lot of experience with procrastination. I have been procrastinating for as long as I remember and I also do not recommend it!

• Kevin Wang

Hmm… I can see where this is coming from and I completely agree. There were times where I have procrastinated so much that I go to sleep from 12am – 4am, or not even sleep at all. Sometimes it even becomes too much for me to handle. At this point, I end up having to decide which assignments I’ll do and which ones I’ll skip.

• Charece Cooks

I think this article is amazing. However, I disagree with the apart when you state that procrastination messes up your social life and sleep habits because most times when people procrastinate they are doing other things like being on social media and/or sleeping.

• Michael Phannavong

I’m not so sure that it’s waiting for motivation to hit but more as doing something that you’d rather be doing in my opinion. I mean after coming back home from 6 hours of school who would want to do more. The worst time I procrastinated was on AP summer homework and all nighters aren’t that fun.

• Aditi Gupte

I agree with this article! As a senior, I know the dangers of procrastinating and how the workload can quickly become overbearing to the point where you can’t even complete one assignment. One thing I think can help with procrastination is trying to do a little bit every day but that is easier said than done.

• Jeffrey Ng

I really enjoyed your story about procrastination, but the main argument wasn’t stated near the beginning of this article. It was really hard for me to pinpoint your position on this matter until the very end. It was even more confusing when you expressed your success along side with failures without a main focus. As a fellow procrastinator, I can relate with your pain and suffering.