Community College and Me

I am a straight-A student. My day is comprised solely of going to school and coming home to study for hours on end. My social life is more or less a bust, and I’ve never had a boyfriend. I am not unlike an indentured servant to academia. Hold your sympathy. You may be surprised, but this life suits me.

I love to learn. I dream of college: the professors who will teach me, all the unknown concepts I have yet to learn. I am currently a junior, and it’s surprising how quickly the dream is morphing into reality. Juniors and seniors across the country are being hit over their head repeatedly with The Question: where will you be in 12-24 months’ time?

By next year, most of my classmates will respond to that question with an exact answer of what they will be doing during the next years of their lives: a job, gap year, or four-year college are all perfectly acceptable answers. But there is another seemingly unthinkable option: community college.

Everyone’s told that no one who has it together goes to community college. Community college is only a second chance school. Why would you wish that upon yourself? This is the general attitude I have experienced surrounding community college.

Why? How could a plan for your future become synonymous to “loser?” The vice president of the United States begs to differ.

“Community college is America’s best kept secret,” says Vice President Joseph Biden. I wholeheartedly agree. However, most people believe community college is a wonderful place only for returning students, students who did not do so well in high school, and students interested in a two-year vocational education. However, community college is also an amazing place for future brain surgeons, college professors, and anyone who wants to obtain a four-year degree or more.

At a four year university, students mainly take general courses their first two years, and then courses specific to their majors the last two years. By going to a community college the first two years, students are not missing anything that a four year college could offer. Community college has a lower cost for the same quality of education, and some say it’s even better. I have heard that many community college instructors are truly interested in teaching, whereas many four year university professors are more interested in publishing books or conducting research.  

There are many success stories that come out of community college. The husband of my seventh grade English teacher started at a community college, and then transferred to Stanford. My own uncle started at a community college, and then transferred to UC Davis, and later attended vet school. He is now a successful veterinarian.

Coming clean: the allure of moving out, combined with my own insecurities about attending community college, will most likely result in me ending up at a four year university right out of high school. Although, I do want community college to be an option for me. I do not think anyone should cross community college off their list of possibilities simply because of social stigma.

11 thoughts on “Community College and Me

• Angelica Duarte

Greatly written piece! I couldn’t agree more with every aspect of this! Community college should always be an option for everyone, even if you did great in high school. The education you receive at a 4 year vs. community college is equal meanwhile you’re getting it for a lot more at a 4 year. Fabulous job!

• Miranda Wu

I agree with this article, and I think that community college is a viable choice for students after high school not only because it has lower cost than the regular 4-years college but also it’s quantity of education.

• Ciara Woolery

I agree with this article so much. Community college is not for the uneducated, but for people who want to be more cost efficient. You are right, it is just general education the first two years anyways. More people should become aware of this.

• Jonathan Wong

I think that community colleges are a viable option for people in all different financial situations. This article also has an excellent use of ethos, pathos, and logos that makes the reader want to keep reading.

• Jeffrey Jiang

I think that community college is a great option for post-high school plans. The fact that many don’t view it as such is unfortunate.

• Angelina Parker

I agree with you so much everyone always puts down community college why not save money? Even though I most likely will go to a four year after high school as well, you still have time to figure out what you want to do. This was very well written!

• Jamil Washington

Good job with writing the article, I like it. Community college is a great alternative for those who don’t what to jump strait in to a four year college or pay more for the same education.

• Yazmine Romero

I agree!! Both of my parents went to community college and are now very successful. It is unfair for students to be looked down upon for seeking further education and taking advantage of a great resource.

• Jamie Slife

I agree wholeheartedly with this article. Community colleges are a great resource which we need to to take advantage of. They’re a great option for those that want to go to college, but don’t want to spend a crazy amount of money.

• Karen Tam

I can relate to this piece so much especially with college applications and deciding what to do with my future. It’s a great piece!

• Laura Mann

So beautifully written, lovely Hannah!! As you very well known, your mom, Monica, and me all attended MJC before moving on to a 4 year college. As a daughter of immigrants and the first in my family to graduate from college, I’m so proud of my JC experience which then led to UC Davis for my BA and CSU Stanislaus for my credential and MA. Your arguments are sound and your words well chosen. A big thumbs up! Love, Laura