College Advice

DSC_0160Being a senior, I feel the weight of college applications collapsing on me like a ton of bricks. The application process can be overwhelming on top of school, clubs, sports, and just everyday tasks.

Reading advice articles on web sites such as collegeboard.com has helped me to focus on what I needed to. Many students look at the application process as a whole and begin to panic. Breaking up the application process into parts is one of the first good steps to relieve stress. Instead of trying to accomplish the SATs and the student statement and applications all at once, set weekly goals that will get things done without adding any pressure.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) is often overlooked. FASFA can help students with grants, student loans, and financial aid. College is expensive and not everyone can afford it. By applying for FASFA and scholarships on web sites such as Fastweb.com, students are able to obtain the money they otherwise couldn’t make available.

English teacher Clare LePell runs a college essay clinic in October to help seniors with their student statements.

“It’s important to have three tiers of college choices: a top favorite college, a good college that you have a shot of getting into and a ‘get in college.’ Don’t forget that community college isn’t the worst option,” advises LePell.

With application deadlines on their way (the UC application deadline is on Nov. 30 and the private colleges vary from Nov. 30 to Feb. 1), students will be focusing solely on SAT/ACT scores or student statements in the next few months. Most colleges have a holistic application process in which they look beyond students’ grades. So whether an applicant has a 3.2 GPA or not, don’t forget extracurricular activities. Colleges are looking for well-rounded students, not robots.

One thought on “College Advice

• Roselia Marquez

For all the students looking for advice on colleges this year. Felicianna gives good advice on breaking the process into “small bites”. As she knows everything is about family and food. She has lots of friends, and great family members that have mentored at all times in her life. Keeping it real and staying close to the source of first love, the love that carries you through any thick and thin situation that can arise in life including going to college. That love comes from is unconditional and no other than from your parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, sisters, and then friends of course. Felicianna is a good source for information, she has been blessed with her Mom and Dad for the love.