The effect of American media leads to “cultural slavery” in other countries

ReemaNowadays, information can be transferred with a click of a button. In almost every corner of the world, music, art, dance, and most importantly, culture, can be easily accessible through the Internet or media. Although 21st century technology has allowed us to connect with people in other countries, it has also exposed those countries to a foreign culture that they may or may not know how to handle.

America has always had an overbearingly large presence in the worldwide media, with most of the content being positive propaganda. People fall for the lives seen on American television, or the glamour of music videos, or the lyrics of rap songs. It’s the foolishness of foreign countries to actually get caught in the trap America has set of being the perfectly equal society filled with educated and stylish people.

My two cousins in India serve as a prime example of the impact that American culture can have in a foreign country. These two born-and-raised Indians sing along to profane American rap songs, wear clothes like Chris Brown and Miley Cyrus, and attempt to talk “high class.” Many people in foreign countries, including my cousins, tend to believe that the “American life” is something of awe and prestige. Through television, social media, and the internet, they hype up the value of America, and forget the values instilled in them by their own country.

Why is it that people in other countries exposed to American culture are more prone to soaking it in rather than just acknowledging it? Why do they have to start “becoming American,” rather than being proud of where they are from?

The “cultural slavery” introduced by American media in foreign countries is becoming an insidious problem which we have to curtail soon. It is destroying cultures in nations and influencing people for the worse. Instead of constantly promoting American values, the media should display other cultures in a more positive light. Maybe that would encourage people just like my cousins to feel proud of their culture, instead of trying to conform to the overrated image of being American.