Occupy CVHS as legitimate as any other protest

Who’s ready for a good old-fashioned protest? If there’s one thing that I love in this world, it’s a well-designed, well-organized protest. Because, after all, when you need to remedy an injustice, what do you do? You protest of course!

For any protest, you have to remember that civility is of paramount importance. Gandhi’s nonviolent civil disobedience, for example, was instrumental in overthrowing British rule of India. The Rodney King riots, which caused thousands of injuries and caused about $1 billion in damages to property? Not quite as successful in terms of political change.

That is why I was impressed with the protest that was held on Facebook in response to the removal of the car section of the yearbook. You see, one of the traditional sections of the CVHS yearbook was devoted to students and their cars, but due to a decision made by the yearbook staff, that section is going to be removed in favor of sections devoted to other things, such as Junior Prom.

This decision caused anger among several members of the student body, who then expressed their anger on Facebook. Some students even went so far as to create an “Occupy CVHS” webpage to argue for a school-wide vote to decide the fate of the car section.

Normally, I couldn’t care less about the car section because, like the majority of my schoolmates, I don’t drive or have access to a car. But when I saw the protest on Facebook, why, my shrunken heart grew three sizes that day, and I now proudly say that I support the movement to bring back the yearbook car section.

If you need any reason to support this movement, too, then look no further than the protesters’ civility. When they saw that the car page was being taken from the yearbook, they politely posted on the CVHS yearbook page, taking care not to insult anyone, but instead eloquently making their displeasure known. After all, if…sorry, what? They didn’t do any of that? They instead argued constantly with others on Facebook posts that never seemed to end?

Well, that makes no difference! Another thing I admire is that the protestors were reasonable in their demands. It’s that kind of courtesy that makes this protest…what? They demanded a school-wide vote concerning the car section that would have required the yearbook staff to count about 3,000 individual ballots?

No matter still! It can still be said that, after the protestors were told that all decisions about the care section were final, they decided to find another, more effective outlet for their complaints. Since complaining on Facebook clearly wasn’t working, they changed their tactics to…uh, well actually they continued complaining on Facebook.

At least the protest didn’t cause damage to any buildings.

One thought on “Occupy CVHS as legitimate as any other protest

• Jeffrey Goldstein

I always enjoy reading Holden’s opinion columns, but why do you always have to publish such unappealing photos of him? The most recent picture of him looks as if some one is stepping on his foot while the photo was being taken. I thought the photos of him last year were bad, but things have gotten worse this year. Why do you visually misrepresent such a talent as Holden?