Atheists are not devil worshippers

Like most eleventh graders around the country, I recently sat down for four tedious hours and took the PSAT. But before we could even take the test, the proctor took us through a half hour of directions and bubbling in details about ourselves. One of the demographic sections concerned religion, and I found myself searching for the bubble that applied to me. There was, however, no bubble that fit my religious standing and I found myself penciling in the vague “other.”

There is no bubble for atheism on the PSAT. I find this utterly disconcerting. According to the U.S. Religious Landscape Survey, atheists account for 1.7% of the American population, while religions accounting for even less of the population were able to be chosen on the PSAT. When the Orthodox Christian, Hindu and Muslim demographic groups are added together, they account for even less of the population than atheists. So why are three less popular religions a choice while atheism is not?

There is an argument that atheism is not a religion. The definition of religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies. Do atheists have a set of beliefs? Do those beliefs address the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe and the creation of a superhuman agency(s)? The answer is yes. Atheism is therefore a religion and should be accounted for. Religious demographic surveys cannot accurately account for the actual statistics if subjects are forced to pencil in “other.” “Other” can indicate an array of things.

Why is atheism left out when it accounts for an outstanding percentage of the American population? There is a stigma surrounding atheism. There are so many misconceptions about atheism, and if people simply took the time to sit down and learn about it, they would understand the falsehoods behind those misconceptions.

When one of my peers learned that I did not believe in the existence of a god, she immediately jumped to the conclusion that I worshipped the devil. Let me make this clear: if I am not going to believe in God, then why in the world would I believe in the devil? Atheists are not devil worshippers. Personally, I don’t believe in the existence of a devil either.

One of my close friends and I argue frequently about what my heavenly status will be after death. I do not believe in heaven or hell and she finds this quite disturbing. She often says, “How can you be good without God?” I do not need the excuse of a deity to be a good person.  I can be a good person all on my own, and as far as sins go, I take credit for every bad thing I did, do, and will do. I don’t feel the need to justify my bad doings with “they will be forgiven.” I am good without God.

One thought on “Atheists are not devil worshippers

• Justin McLean

Reyna,

I completely understand how you feel! I’ve been called a devil worshiper so many times, I’ve lost count, by christians and others alike. I’m a practicing wiccan, call me a witch if you must, and I wear the star proudly around my neck. We account for 0.4-0.6% of americans, right up there with many Jewish, Buddhist, and Muslim percentiles. I always have to mark down “other”, and it bothers me. Once, I went to my friend’s baptism and I sat in the back. When they came with communion, I politely declined and the priest moved on. A little boy sat next to me, though, and asked why I did not take communion, then if I worshiped satan. The mother was appalled when he asked this, but I just said that I didn’t believe in communion. He later found me in the restroom when I was adjusting my tie and saw my necklace. I was almost kicked out because his mother flipped the heck out. Totally sucked lol! I wanted to start convulsing when my friend splashed holy water on my face to prove a point, just to scare the lady again.Ah well, what can we do but complain until they hear us? 🙂