“We opened people’s eyes to the consequences of having sex”

In our recent issue of The Olympian, we got a letter to the editor shaming us for “glorifying teen pregnancy.”   The writer of that letter was shocked and appalled by what we have written.
I think that the author of the letter is wrong.  We have written a good article that relates to the students.  In the US alone there are about 750,000 thousand teens who get pregnant each year.  The four girls who were interviewed shared with us their personal experiences.  By doing this, they created awareness about teen pregnancy here at CVHS.I think that most of the teens who are sexually active know that safety is the number one priority.  What they don’t know is what it actually feels like to be in a tough situation like those girls were.  The article that we wrote will help people understand that feeling.

The letter to the editor wasn’t the only criticism that we received.  There were people in some of my classes who weren’t too happy with what we wrote.  They all said that we advertised pregnancy.  I don’t think they understand that reading about these personal experience can help many sexually active teens by bringing awareness to them.
In my opinion, the article we wrote opened people’s eyes about the consequences of sex.  I am sure that it was very difficult for those girls to tell us their personal stories.  But by doing so, they helped people understand what its like to become a teen mom, how your life will change and what your future will hold.  I thank them for sharing their stories.

2 thoughts on ““We opened people’s eyes to the consequences of having sex”

• Jeffrey

don’t ask me!

• Rada Feldman

I expect nothing less 🙂