Intern-esting experience

Writing articles about politics and budget cuts gives you a different perception of how the government works. To a journalist, politics seems like a bunch of statistics and facts. But numbers and words don’t reflect the work that goes into running a state or the country. This past summer, I had the opportunity to intern for California State Assemblymember Joan Buchanan. I learned a lot about state politics, got to intern for someone whose ideologies I agree with, and met amazing people along the way. Reading emails and answering constituent calls every day in the district office gave me a new perception of politics.

I will never forget this one call I got from a constituent. He was commenting on Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s proposal to cut In-Home Supportive Services, which provides those 65 and older aid for health and other types of service to remain safe in their homes. This particular constituent was 79-years-old, widowed, and receives aid for himself and his disabled daughter. But what I particularly remember about this constituent call was that he said, “I’m 79-years-old. I can’t go on any longer.”

I wanted to tear up after hearing that statement. I cannot imagine the fear and frustration he felt knowing that there was a chance he would not receive the aid he needs for himself and his daughter. Writing down his comments and forwarding them to the Assemblymember made me feel like I helped to make a difference in his life. I helped to get his voice heard and his story touched someone who was grateful she had the opportunity to do so.

At that moment, I learned that politics is not all about lobbying, but it is a field dedicated to serving the constituents and your community, representing the voice of your constituents the best you can. It is about helping constituents like the one who called about In Home Supportive Services and giving them the best opportunities. It requires a lot to work in the field of politics. But most importantly, it requires dedication and that is what I learned from every person who works for the Assemblymember and the Assemblymember herself.

If anything, my internship experience has made be more proud to be a liberal and a supporter of reforms that help constituents get the aid they need. It is why I stand up for individual liberty, personal choice, equal opportunities, and social justice to give people like the constituent who called and his daughter the best quality of life they can live.