Pesky parking problems persist

Seniors, has your car been towed yet?

At the beginning of the school year, CVHS administration made an announcement that all vehicles parked in the student or staff lots without a visibly displayed parking pass would be towed away. This is due to the increasing amount of unauthorized vehicles.

Some staff members have been blocked from their spots, such as school nurse Sandee Velasquez. This inconveniences them and delays them from attending to students’ needs.

It’s not just the teachers who don’t like this; many students find this annoying as well.

“I think it’s rude. A lot of the time, people have to park farther away because someone took their spot. They didn’t even pay for a pass so it’s really unfair,” said senior Alex Borja.

A recent Olympian survey showed that of the 127 cars parked in the student lot, there were nine without a permit. That means 93 percent of the cars were parked legally, but seven percent were not.

And of the 172 cars in the staff lots, there were 28 without permits, making the amount of legally parked cars 84 percent, and illegal ones 16 percent.

But so far, no cars have been towed yet.

“It’s a pretty simple and quick process. We just haven’t picked out a specific date yet. But we can do it at any time,” Assistant Principal Jesse Hansen said.

Hansen states his other reasons for not towing yet: sometimes kids do have a parking permit, but the administration missed it on their search to find the no-permit cars.

“It’d be really inconvenient if we towed their car, and they actually did in fact have a pass,” Hansen said.

Or maybe the student was injured and just had to park there for convenience. Visitors and parents who are confused over where they should park might accidentally block a student or teacher’s spot.

However, just because no cars have been towed yet does not mean that they won’t be in the future. To make the campus a little safer and convenient for everyone, people should start parking legally.

One thought on “Pesky parking problems persist

• I think it’s silly to two students from the student parking lot only because we are students. I am a senior with no parking pass and i park in the senior parking lot. Many students complain about juniors parking in the senior parking lot. Also, the school should only tow cars that are parked in the staff parking lot or in a no parking zone. Those are the people that deserved to be towed or juniors. Seniors have the right because they been waiting for 4 years for those spots. A greater idea would be making the parking lots bigger since they minimized it with those dumb solar panels. And it would be a greater alternative than towing A LOT of cars. We would probably spend the same amount of money making a new parking lot for seniors because staff has a big parking spot for no reason. There are more students than staff. So i will continue parking in the senior lot where i deserve to park because they will not tow my car.