News

CVHS welcome a more efficient cafeteria system

The lunch bell rings and students start heading all over the campus, to their cars, lockers, friends, and the cafeteria.

Recently, CVHS has changed its lunch system: from the way food is sold, to the newly renovated cafeteria and annex, and the new additions made in the lunch menu. These changes were made to be better for the students and the staff at CVHS.

One change this year that has been popular on campus is the new Jamba Juice. This recent addition was meant to try and keep students on campus during lunchtime. Encouraging more students to stay on campus will result in fewer tardies after lunch, safety for students, and happier students and staff with the better food.

The CVHS lunch staff has always been thinking about how lunch can be better for students. Last year, CVHS offered 26 entrees for lunch. Along with all of these choices, the staff tried having a system with three or four PayPads. But only one PayPad was cash only. So the head of the lunch staff, Ana Aguilar, thought of a better way to improve lunch purchases.

This year, the number of lunch entrees was cut to 18 or 19. This cut was made because of the new Jamba Juice. In addition, Subway will be available to students on campus later this year. Aguilar really does encourage that students stay on campus for lunch because she believes CVHS offers many healthy choices.

In addition to providing Subway at lunch, Aguilar plans on renovating the cafeteria even more, to really encourage students to stay on campus. She wants to have better furniture and is thinking about adding a WiFi hotspot, along with charging tables for students’ electronics in the cafeteria.

“This is not a place where we cook and sell fast food. We cook and sell quality food to students,” Aguilar said.

Now quality food does not mean that restaurant quality food will be sold, but the staff has been working hard to cook the best food they can for the hundreds of students that come to buy lunch on campus.

With no cafeteria jobs lost, Aguilar decided to change how the staff would work during lunch. Before, there was one PayPad that accepted cash only, but not many people lined up for that PayPad, so there was no point in putting a staff member to work there. So, she made that staff member come inside the kitchen to help cook the food for the students.

Now, only two staff members work at the PayPads. This means that there will be only two lines to pay for lunch. But this two line idea was made to be a faster and more efficient way of selling lunch, because the two PayPads would accept both account money and cash.

Also, the Jamba Juice and Subway will always stay the same price, and will be sold to students for $3.

Another idea Aguilar had that would be faster, easier, and more efficient was moving the  pizza cart outside to the school courtyard. This way, students could get the most popular lunch item easier and faster.