News

Discounted BART tickets available for CVHS students

Many students use BART frequently. Photo by Danika Newlin.

Having to travel from one place to another can be difficult and expensive for a student without a car. Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART)  is a popular alternative to travel, but using it can get pricey.

Just recently, the finance office started selling BART tickets for a reduced price to students who will use them for school-related activities.

“It was something BART had always offered, but you used to have to buy them at the district office,” said Charity Hastings in the finance office. “We wanted to make it more convenient for students to buy them.”

Students can receive a $32 BART ticket for a discounted price of $16 if they follow certain prerequisites.

They first must get a form from the finance office and fill it out with signature from both themselves and a guardian. In order to qualify they must be between 13 and 18 years old, have a student ID card, and have no history of vandalism at school or BART.

The ticket can only be used Mondays through Fridays, to get to or from school, or for school related activities.

“I just recently sold some to a girl who is taking classes over the summer in San Francisco,” said Hastings.

On the other hand, it is important that students do not abuse the privilege of being able to buy discounted BART tickets.

They must carry their school IDs with them while traveling using the ticket. BART personnel have the authority to ask students to show them their IDs, to make sure they are following the guidelines that the ticket allows.

“We are trusting students that they are using them for their appropriate purpose,” said Hastings.

The discounted BART pass is very convenient for students who use BART to travel to and from school, or for school related activities. People who don’t respect the guidelines would be carelessly taking advantage of a situation that is extremely helpful to students who use BART travel for school.