CVEF scholarships available for seniors

Money

As a growing number of high school students seek financial aid, middle-income parents are pressured more than ever these days. With the cost of college also increasing rapidly, from six to 20 percent more per year, it becomes more difficult to afford an education.

A four year undergraduate degree at a UC projects to cost over $105,000, while average cost of tuition, room, and board at private institutions now exceeds $48,000 per year. Tuition at UC and California State University schools have nearly doubled in the last few years.

Recent College Board data reveal that a family that earns $75,000 a year might have to pay around $10,000 each year toward college tuition before qualifying for need-based aid. With income of $150,000, the expected family contribution ranges from $35,000 to $40,000. Over the last 30 years, the average published price at public two-year colleges rose by 150 percent, from $1,337 to $3,347, and the increase for in-state students at public four-year institutions was 225 percent, from $2,810 to $9,139.

Supporting high school students in their quest to strive to achieve their career goals, Castro Valley Educational Foundation offers a variety of scholarship opportunities based primarily on academic promise and leadership potentials.

“I think education in America has become so expensive that any help our students receive is greatly appreciated,” said Gerry Cox, history teacher.

Volunteering in local communities can lead to community service scholarships. Community engagement displays an individual’s commitment to making the world a better place. Scholarship providers, as philanthropists themselves, appreciate students who demonstrate an early interest in helping those around them. The Castro Valley Women’s Club Scholarship, for example, offers $1,000 for those who have participated in community service, extracurricular activities, or student government and plans to attend a four-year college. A minimum of 3.0 GPA is also required. Likewise, CVHS Class of ’91 Public Service Scholarship provides $10,000 for students who display interests in careers dedicated to public service.

“Scholarships are excellent ways to propel students into path of life that they want to pursue,” said senior Kyle Chan. “With support of our local communities, many people have a higher likelihood to attend their dream college.”

There are also many scholarships available aimed for individual ethnic groups. Dr. Joshua Fong grants two $500 scholarships for students of Chinese descent. Moreover, for students of Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovakian, Polish or Austrian descent, the $500 CHRSPA Scholarship is offered on basis of academic performance and community service activities.

For more information, check out scholarship opportunities at http://www.cvef.org/scholarships_available. The application deadline is April 1.