Lack of adequate funding causes scheduling problems

Many CVHS students were disappointed the day of registration when they received their schedules.

“Where’s my third period?”

”Why don’t I have a science?”

“Marketing? Again?”

These were but some of the complaints voiced by confused and frustrated students. Their dilemmas were different, but they all shared one common question: what happened?

“Lack of additional funding,” answered Principal Mary Ann Valles. “The counselors are usually paid to come in earlier in the summer to work on the schedules, but because of budget cuts, we weren’t able to do that this year.”

She also explained that the school is funded based on which classes the students sign up for. To add to the dilemma, teachers can only legally accommodate 33 students in their classes, with few exceptions, based on their contracts.

The biggest issue seems to have taken place within the science department. Many juniors and seniors weren’t getting placed in the science they signed up for, let alone any science at all.

“It’s a huge problem,” said science teacher Carol Dixon. “All my classes are full and there are still kids trying to get in.”

It seems to have gotten worse over recent years, and all departments are starting to feel the heat now.

“It’s worse than I’ve ever seen it,” elaborated Dixon as she described the disruptions it has caused in her classes. “I’ve had at least six transfers so far, whereas in years past, I had none. I actually had empty spaces to take in more students.”

It all comes down to budget cuts. The problems caused by the lack of adequate funding trickles down from the counselors who create schedules to the students who have to scramble to get into core classes.

Dixon and Valles encouraged students to consult their counselor for any specialized schedule problems.