News

GRAEL protests Trayvon Martin’s death with hoodies & Skittles

GRAEL students responded with a protest to the killing of Trayvon Martin. On April 3 these sophomores wore black hoodies and carried Skittles and Arizona Iced Tea to school, just like Martin had been when he was shot.

Martin was an African-American student in Florida, only 17 years old when he was shot and killed by George Zimmerman. The neighborhood watch volunteer claimed that he thought Martin looked threatening and said he shot him in self defense.

After the police first confronted and questioned Zimmerman, he was set free, with no penalties. This caused a big uproar all over the country, with protesters walking in the streets, called “Million Hoodie Marches.” Students in Florida schools staged walkouts.

“[We did this] to show that justice is not served,” said Eskedar Abebe, a freshman and student in GRAEL.

“The class decided to raise awareness,” said John Green, a teacher for GRAEL. The more people who oppose events like this happening can make all the difference.

In GRAEL, students learn about global rights, activism, education and law. Their goal is to make a better, more peaceful world, supporting people and events that are for the greater good of the community or world.

The nationwide outcry seems to have done its job. Six weeks after the shooting, Zimmerman was charged with second degree murder by a special prosecutor on April 11.