CommunityNews

“Kony 2012” movement goes viral

With more than three million views on the Invisible Children’s viral video, the “Kony 2012” movement is now ubiquitous. Due to the campaign, people all around the world are becoming involved and devoted to the movement.

Joseph Kony is the leader of the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) and, over the past 20 years, has been responsible for more than 30,000 children being abducted and used as child combatants and sex slaves in Uganda. Ever since the LRA was founded in 1987, Kony has been prompting his followers to obey his orders, and command and justify acts such as abduction and murder of young, innocent children. Kony calls himself a prophet and claims to speak the word of God.
In May 2012, President Barack Obama signed into law the “Lord’s Resistance Army Disarmament and Northern Uganda Recover Act” in order to stop Kony from his wrongdoings by making it American policy to kill or capture Kony.

The viral video on the Invisible Children website explains that there is a national plan for people all across the globe to flood their communities with “Kony 2012” posters on April 20 in order to make Kony known around the world for his actions.

“Support this because you are willing to stand up and say ‘I know, I care, and I’m going to do something about it,’” said freshman Amanda Bailey, who will be taking part in the rally.

CVHS students can join in and participate in the international movement by joining the rally, which will be taking place in front of the Safeway located on Castro Valley Boulevard on April 20 from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.