Fights break out during football game, dance

At least two fights broke out at Trojan Stadium on Sept. 9 after a lightning storm forced an early end to the football game, said Deputy Tim Vales. One student struck Assistant Principal Erica Ehmann, officials said. Officers have arrested at least nine students so far from CVHS, Redwood High, Skyline High and Canyon Middle School.

While the Trojans played against Newark High School in the stadium, the Welcome Back Dance took place on the courtyard.

The referees called a 30-minute delay at the end of the third quarter of the football game due to the threat of the storm. Hearing the referees’ decision, administrators decided to prematurely end the dance, which was being held outside in the quad. News of the cancellation was met with boos and angry shouts. Leadership students, administration, and campus patrollers ushered students out into the parking lot.

The suspension of the game caused widespread confusion among the spectators. At some point during the delay a fight broke out, and another followed within minutes.

Campus patrollers then called for support, and more law enforcement officers arrived at the school. It took about 30 minutes to clear the crowds from campus.

“There was no chance that that situation would be calmed down without having quite a few policemen there,” said history teacher Gerry Cox. “The administration and teachers could not have possibly controlled the situation.”

During this time, Ehmann spoke with a boy involved in the first fight. Other boys attacked him and in the melee, one of them hit Ehmann in the face accidentally, officials said. She was not seriously injured.

The boy was arrested, suspended and faces expulsion, Vales said, and other students were also suspended.

Some of the chaos spread as far as Al’s Market on Somerset Avenue, where officers responded to another fight.

In all, the officers arrested six boys that night for fighting, resisting arrest and obstructing arrest, Vales said.

Three others were arrested in the following days, Vales said, and more arrests are possible.

The administration, district office, and Sheriff’s Department are working to identify everyone involved in the altercations. The school is reviewing its safety and security practices to prevent similar incidents in the future.

“We are going to look at what we did, what we didn’t do and look at what we need to change as a result of that evening,” Principal Mary Ann Valles confirmed.

The football game was not resumed. None of the altercations at the stadium involved any fans from Newark, Valles said.

Despite persistent rumors and Facebook postings, there was no evidence of gangs or weapons at the stadium, and no injuries requiring medical attention were reported. Valles called parents at home and sent out an email to teachers clarifying the rumors.

The leadership class has scheduled a make-up dance on Feb. 2. Those who paid for the Welcome Back Dance will get in for free, said leadership teacher Nick Whitaker.