Valles takes over as CVHS new principal

Mary Ann Valles, the new principal at CVHS, is having a blast so far. She has already made some significant changes to the school’s rules, such as the more tolerant cell phone policy, which allows the use of cell phones during non-instructional times such as lunch and break, and the 10-10 policy, which optimizes instructional time for teachers by encouraging students to stay in class the first and last ten minutes of class time.

Many students love the new changes Valles has implemented.

“I think the new cell phone policy is really good because I used to hide in the bathroom to call but now I don’t have to anymore,” said senior Christy Lee.

“I think the 10-10 policy is good for teachers because some of them get annoyed when kids ask to use the bathroom or go to their lockers within the first few minutes of class,” adds senior Elizabeth Han.

As for changes in the future, Valles believes in first observing and then contemplating the ways to go about change.

“One of the approaches that I take to my work is not to jump in and to assume I know everything about what I see but to listen and to observe it in depth before I draw a conclusion and even then incorporate the voices of the people who’ve been here,” said Valles. “I don’t have a clear set of agenda that I want to promote. What I have is a clear sense of ‘this is a great school; there are lots of good things going on.’ And I’ve got to find the places where maybe we could use a little attention, a little improvement and focus on that with the support of the staff and [the students].”

However, Valles does have a pressing issue she would like to take care of.

“One of my immediate goals is getting to know the staff better,” said Valles. “I would like to have an opportunity to really spend time with staff and learn about what their thoughts are about the school and gather more data for myself about CVHS.”

Rebecca Westover, a science teacher who is also new to CVHS this year, thinks Valles is off to a great start.

“She listens to the teachers and is approachable for students,” said Westover.