Phenomenal Performance by Choir Pupils

The lights dim, the audience roars, show time! Choir’s annual fundraising performance, Cabaret, was a fabulous success, without anyone forgetting their lines, on Nov. 4.

The air was filled with songs from classic musicals such as Hairspray, Beauty and the Beast, and Grease that almost anyone would recognize by listening to just the first few notes. Every performance ended with the audience’s cheers echoing off the walls of the cafeteria, as the performers bowed and ran off stage with a huge sigh of relief that they didn’t faint from nervousness.

Each number had its own personality, whether it made us laugh, cry, or feel nostalgic. Two of the show’s highlights were seniors Grace Hancock and Andre Juntilla’s renditions of cabaret songs “Taylor the Latte Boy” and “Taylor the Latte Boy Rebuttal.” Hancock’s lovestruck performance about how her latte-making crush obviously loved her back because he gave her a triple latte instead of a double had the audience rolling in the aisles. She made a comeback during Juntilla’s solo about how he was going to get a restraining order against the stalker girl who always came in at the same time every day, when she ran in front of the stage and looked at him longingly until he threatened to call the police.

It’s hard to believe that these stupendous singers aren’t nervous when they get up in front of a crowd that fills every seat in the cafeteria. Or if they are, they hide it very well.

“I’m a different person on stage,” said junior Patricia Alfonso.

It’s an odd thing that the stage has that type of effect on some people, but the people in the audience are sure grateful it does. However, while the stage allows the choir to belt out high notes, there wasn’t much dancing going on.

“I like to sing more… I’m a terrible dancer,” said senior Leah Procita.

One performer did move around the stage quite a bit. Zephan Wood, singing “If I Were a Rich Man” from The Fiddler on the Roof, had the audience nodding their head to the beat with him as he walked around the stage and swung his arms to the beat of the song, adding to the zaniness of the classic number.

This just goes to show that even if you’re only in the audience, the atmosphere of Cabaret brings out the performer in all of us.