Feature

Scholarship created in memory of Dubb

“For all of the negative things I could say about myself, one positive thing I think I can say is that there has to be someone out there who is nicer to others because I was nice to them. And for someone as sensitive to others as I am, that is enough for me,” Nicholas “Dubb” Whitaker wrote in his goodbye letter.

Whitaker, the former Leadership and social studies teacher at CVHS, passed away on Sept. 17. He was an inspiration and a source of kindness to others, someone that always radiated positivity in the hallways. He left in his wake a donation-based scholarship fund.

It was Dubb’s wish to establish a scholarship for a student with exceptional leadership skills to go to college. He himself struggled in high school because he made some bad choices and didn’t focus on academics. But a close family friend helped him see his strengths and all that he had to offer to others. Dubb’s own experiences motivated him to create a scholarship for students. It’s also one of the reasons why he could interact and get along so well with everyone, including the kids on the sidelines.

“He always told me that sometimes kids need someone to believe in them when they can’t believe in themselves,” said Lavender Whitaker, Dubb’s wife. “He wanted to provide an opportunity to a special kid that may just need that boost of confidence, someone to believe in them, and a shot at making the world a better place.”

The scholarship of $10,000 will be awarded to one recipient per year starting in the spring. As of now, it’s still unknown whether the scholarship will be available for just the students in the leadership class or for anyone in school.

Michael Kentris, the leadership teacher, will nominate students who show signs of being a strong leader. There are no income or GPA requirements. Leadership qualities include helping and leading others, being responsible and demonstrating acts of kindness. About five to ten nominations will be accepted. Once they apply, they will be interviewed by a panel, which will ultimately decide the winner.
Dubb has left such a huge impact on our lives, and he will continue to do so even after death through this scholarship. Many of his family, friends, and colleagues have helped by making a web site accepting donations that will go toward it. So far, more than 300 people have contributed more than $32,000, and more money is donated each day.

The web site for scholarship donations is www.gofundme.com/dubbfund.