FeatureHighlightsVideo

CVHS bids farewell to Dubb

Nicholas Whitaker, the man who always wore his mohawk in colors all over the rainbow spectrum and whose influence made him the heart of CVHS, passed away on Sept. 27 at the age of 36 after a long and courageous battle with cancer.

“He was always putting people first. He was always making people feel like they were the most important thing,” said teacher Michael Kentris at the Celebration of Life Ceremony held in honor of Whitaker.

Often known as Dubb, Whitaker is remembered for dynamically impacting the lives of students while teaching them a unique combination of integrity with humility. For the past eight years, Dubb has broken the glass ceiling of what was considered normal, and through it, taught the students to love who they are and embrace their originality.

Dubb, as a former Leadership activities director, selflessly dedicated an inundating amount of extra hours to show his support. He worked diligently to make CVHS a place for everyone regardless of race, gender, or beliefs.

“He had a way of making you feel like you were so important and that he cared so much,” said former ASB President Jenna Sparks. “That’s because he did. Dubb worked tirelessly to make sure that our high school was a safe and loving place.”

The impact Dubb left on the community of CVHS was as heart-warming as the man himself.

“Dubb had the biggest heart and the brightest smile. If anyone knew him just the slightest bit, they would know that he gave hugs that could solve any problem and repair any broken heart,” commented senior Janetta Redzic.

Many students of CVHS are forever marked with the legacy Dubb has created for this community.  As senior Taylor Wade put it, “Dubb was a ray of light. He lived his life with optimism and a glowing smile. He taught me that a hug can solve almost any problem.”