Torpey officially rules the school

TorpeyPrincipal Blaine Torpey handled his first year as interim principal despite all the stress and commotion that comes along a new position.

Torpey has done so well as interim principal that he was appointed permanent principal on April 23, which has left many staff and students excited. Some even wore “Utorpia” T-shirts to celebrate.

Torpey believes his first year went fairly well and maintains a positive and determined attitude.

“I have incredible faith in our students and in our staff. I was told to trust the organization, and I’ve been able to do so. I have great faith in this school,” added Torpey.

Similar to how Torpey has faith in CVHS, the district superintendent has faith in Torpey.

“Blaine is truly a student-centered administrator who cares about the success and well-being of every student at Castro Valley High School.  He works extremely hard to ensure that every student is connected to his or her learning,” stated Superintendent Jim Negri.

One of Torpey’s main focuses is to maintain and cultivate relationships with the students. The students are his motivation to make school is a safe and educational place.

Torpey beamed with excitement as he discussed his new position and everything that it entails.

“I remove obstacles and barriers to allow people to do the work they want and need to do, whether it’s teachers teaching or students learning. Now I can further support the staff and the students and make decisions that are best for the school,” stated Torpey.

If you listened to the two recent announcements made by Assistant Principal Jesse Hansen, then you know that CVHS is beginning to strictly enforce some of its basic policies that many students had been ignoring without fears of repercussions. This is due to the desires of Torpey and his staff to further protect and serve the students of CVHS. He also wants to insure the continuation of the restorative justice program.

“I feel that by enforcing some of our very simple and basic policies, we’ll actually avoid a lot of the bigger things that could possibly happen. I want to make sure that we are in class all the time. I want to make sure that we are safe all the time. We have students wandering around, it’s a safety hazard and they aren’t learning,” stated Torpey.

Torpey remains excited about the next school year and had only one complaint about the undoubtedly overwhelming job.

“I get hundreds of emails a day. That’s the only thing,” laughed Torpey.

Congratulations to the new principal and long live Utorpia.