Feature

Livingston discusses the importance of a healthy diet

Helenka Livingston, a registered dietitian, talked to CVHS students about the importance of healthy eating and body weight as part of the annual Days of Diversity presentations. Livingston, who currently works as a nutrition instructor at Merritt College, first discussed the negative effects of using models or celebrities, who often don’t live healthy lifestyles, as role models, and encouraged students to instead work to live balanced and active lives. Livingston then showed tips on mindful eating and stressed the importance of portion control.

“Restaurants these days trick you into buying the larger size because you think it’s the better value…but the thing is we aren’t even capable of eating that much anyways!” said Livingston.

Students spent part of the presentation writing down three goals they wished to achieve to make their lives healthier. Livingston urged students to try to complete one of those goals that day. She also encouraged students to go onto myplate.gov to find out which eating plan would be healthy for them, and to learn more about healthy eating habits. Her most important tip, though, was to make one small change a day in order to start living a healthier and happier life. Her best suggestion?

“Cut out sodas! The body doesn’t register the calories you drink, so you end up consuming extra sugar and carbs and not feeling full!” Livingston said.