Feature

Clyde makes English fun

clyde0If you ever walk down 200 hall, you’ll find a smiling, welcoming teacher at the open door of 207 holding a book, sign, or something to make you laugh. This unique teacher, Jennifer Clyde, has been here for only two years, but has already established a wonderful name for herself throughout CVHS.
Clyde completed her undergraduate study at Sonoma State University as a liberal studies major and wanted to become a professional writer, a career which she pursued for one year. She worked on a project that researched school classrooms and while working, she realized that she loved the environment of a classroom more than being fettered to a desk.
From there, Clyde’s future fell right into place; she attended St. Mary’s College and earned her teaching credential, and then she taught at Bishop O’Dowd High School for three years. She received a teaching fellowship in Michigan, and taught at a university for three years while getting her master’s degree in English education. She began working in San Lorenzo High School soon after for three years. Finally, Clyde came to CVHS, where she now absolutely loves teaching her regular American literature and expository reading and writing class students.
“What I love about writing is that, when you do it well, it can actually change the world,” Clyde said. “It can change the way people feel about the world, themselves, and society, and it can be a powerful tool. Teaching other people about that is really exciting because it’s you guys who can take that tool to go change the world in new and amazing ways.”
Clyde is also the co-coordinator for Link Crew, and is organizing the Puentes class (Chicano studies) for next year. She enjoys being involved in activities that bring students together and that make students feel more comfortable in their own skin.
“When I was in high school, I had problems with bullying and I was also very unhappy. But the thing I always emphasize is that it gets better. Eventually, you’ll become an adult and look back on this stuff, and just think about how lame it was to take grief for the trivial things that used to be important back then. Have hope, because things do change. If you’re in a bad space right now, just hold on for a bit longer, and I promise it really does get better,” she advised.

“Ms. Clyde is a really cool teacher who cares for her students,” said junior Jason Cheung. “I learn a lot in that class, and she makes English really fun for me.”

Clyde does everything in her power to make her classroom as open and accepting as possible.

“I have this poster on my wall which reads, ‘You make my life fun.’ That’s really true for me,” said Clyde. “It’s my students that make my life have meaning, make my life fun and happy, and give me purpose. It’s important to me to make sure students’ classroom feels like a welcoming home. High school is a place to learn things, but at the same time, everything is a survival and is so intense, so I want my classroom to be as comforting and homely as possible.”

Filled with motivation to educate students, Clyde excels in making her students thrive both in and out of the classroom.