Feature

The Vietnam War era

A Vietnam War veteran once created a theory that there are three types of people in society: sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. Sheep make up most of the population and they spend their days in the field, avoiding the wrath of the wolves of the land. Of course, the wolves feed on the sheep mercilessly—if they manage to pass the sheepdogs.

The sheepdogs live to protect the flock of sheep and confront the wolves. But even though the sheepdogs defend them, the sheep don’t like them for they resemble the wolves with their sharp fangs and their capacity for violence.
I listened as Bill Green unfolded this story and explained, “I will always be the sheepdog.”

During the week of Days of Diversity, CVHS welcomed several presenters to speak about a variety of subjects. Students were opened up to different issues, cultures, and historical events. I myself had the pleasure of listening to Vietnam War veterans Green and Mike Martin speak of their experience in Vietnam during the tumultuous war.

Martin started off the presentation by sharing little anecdotes about his life as a naval supply officer in Da Nang, Vietnam in 1969. When he was given a bit of rest and relaxation time, he chose to vacation in Sydney, Australia.

Upon his return home, Martin expected to be welcomed by his fellow citizens only to be disappointed to see a crowd of protesters demonstrating their disagreement with the war. One woman even labeled Martin to be a “baby killer” and spat in his face. While he agrees that all Americans should have the right to assemble, he believes it is extremely important that people understand what to protest against.

Green continued the presentation by showing a picture of his draftee letter that ironically started off with a cheerful, “Greetings!” The PowerPoint he had prepared showcased archaic black and white pictures of an unfamiliar land featuring a man in his soldier attire. Green spent most of the war in the jungles of Vietnam, acting as a point man. He went into details of the ill effects of the overall war experience—not only for himself, but for Martin as well.
Both veterans currently suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) due to their service in the war. Unfortunately, such mental and physical disorders are not uncommon among individuals who assist their countries by taking part in such violent wars. While the effects of PTSD are difficult to deal with, Martin and Green both thanked the student-listeners for being a part of their solution.

“Coming to speak to all of you is our therapy,” Martin said.