Feature

Express your feelings in the Poetry Slam

There will be a Poetry Slam for the first time on the CVHS campus in years and any student in CVHS can participate. The Poetry Slam is on March 30. It will be during 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the CVHS cafeteria.

Any and all poems are welcomed in the Poetry Slam as long as they do not take over two and half minutes to be read. The sign-ups are in room 309.
This slam is for people to voice their opinions and feelings to an audience of peers.

“Poetry will provide people with a cathartic release,” said Josh Linville, an English teacher.

Not only do people get to express themselves, they have a chance of winning a prize while doing so. The prize will be a $100 gift card to a book store in Hayward and a trophy.

The scoring will be done by teachers and students. They will judge the recital by giving out scores of one to ten. The poet will then get an overall score by an average of the numbers that the judges give out. If there happens to be a tie, the poets will then recite another poem for the tiebreaker. But this doesn’t mean that you should have two poems ready for this slam, because if you’re one of the contestants in the tie, you will be notified and you will have some time to make up another poem.

This Poetry Slam will have refreshments and lots of written art.

“I hope to make this an annual event,” said Linville.