ACS: Bringing the world more birthdays

American Cancer Society Club members are a group of students who come together to raise awareness of cancer. These dedicated club members give up their free time to attend events that not only teach the community ways to prevent different cancers, but also raise funds towards cancer research.

Through the years, American Cancer Society has grown to a point where it is known nationwide. This group has helped people get through energy-draining treatments and provides support to cancer patients whenever times gets too rough.

“It had made me aware of how cancer is dangerous, and how many people have it in this world and how it could be dangerous if you don’t care for it in time,” commented Janice Lu, vice president of the CVHS club.

Since 2003, the year that American Cancer Society CVHS Club was established, it has grown to be one of the biggest clubs on campus with as many as 100 members each year. This year President Jolinna Nguyen leads the club with the help of her fellow officers, Janice Lu (vice president), Emily Hui (secretary), Sabrina Li (treasurer), Cindy Ma (committee chair), Joyce Liang (public relations), and Amanda Suhalim (historian).

Every Wednesday during lunch, Room 768 is flooded with new and returning members. During each meeting, members learn new facts about cancer and ways to become aware of it so that it can be treated early. Aside from learning about cancer, members also play an active role in fundraising money. Each week, members have the opportunity to go out in their community and spread the word of cancer prevention. An example of these community service efforts is the event that took place at San Francisco at Golden Gate Park on Oct. 22, where people walked to raise awareness and funds for cancer research. Members gathered at six o’clock in the morning to volunteer as ACS personal cheerleaders by supporting each passing walker with words of encouragement and loud cheers.

The club also holds and attends events such as door-to-doors, blitz, relay walks, bake sales, garage sales, and car washes.

Club advisor Laura O’Brien, a biotechnology and chemistry teacher, supports this club by providing her room as the meeting spot for club members. She has a strong opinion on how the club is beneficial to the students.

“I think it’s unique not only in term of service clubs and volunteer work, but there is this educational component,” explained O’Brien.  “Like at the meeting today, Jolinna was talking about the different types of cancer and how it could be prevented when it’s more likely to be treatable.”

Cancer treatment is nothing to laugh about; it’s a painful process that affects a person’s body and mind, but with the help of each member, ACS can bring a world with more birthdays.