Uncategorized

Saying Goodbye to How I Met Your Mother

After nine years of waiting, fans of How I Met Your Mother will finally be introduced to the face behind the infamous yellow umbrella as the series enters its final season.

For nearly a decade, Ted Mosby has been telling his children the story of how he met his wife. As he recounts his adventures with his friends Marshall, Lily, Robin, and Barney, viewers have remained by his side, following through his triumphs, defeats, and countless bad jokes.

The plot of the show is centered around New York City, utilizing the hectic city as the perfect setting to the friends’ outrageous lives. The story is told in flashbacks, allowing for a witty, omniscient commentary from “present-day” Ted as the friends venture through family fallouts, relationship woes, and career changes. Each episode takes on a relatable event and propels it into an extravagant experience, complete with intelligent one-liners and memorable catchphrases.

Yet, cheap laughs are rare on the show. How I Met Your Mother’s comedy doesn’t come from cheesy writing or generic gags. The success of the show depends on the chemistry of its cast. The actors give impeccable performances and work off each other, constantly improving the quality of the humor. Every character is already so unique, but continues to undergo personal development with each episode. There is such depth to each of their storylines, leaving the audience rooting for their success.

In its ninth season run, How I Met Your Mother has become one of the most beloved programs on air, with an average viewership of eight million last season. Comparisons have been drawn to the classic show Friends, but How I Met Your Mother has a special charisma that distinguishes it from other sitcoms. Its concepts are highly original and have a lasting impression, integrated into pop culture. The Bro-Code, Playbook, Lemon Law, Mermaid Theory, and Slap Bet all have roots in the show, among other phrases commonly used in modern speech.

How I Met Your Mother airs on CBS every Monday night at 8 p.m. With the series wrapping up in May 2014, there is still plenty of time to catch up on the story of how Ted Mosby meets the girl of his dreams.