Entertainment

Invisibility can’t be ignored

c_invisibilitybigIn the fictional novel Invisibility by Andrea Cremer and David Levithan, the two authors have combined literary powers to reveal the frightening world of an invisible boy.

Before his mother’s death a year ago, Stephen knew he existed. His mother doted on him, despite her inability to see him. Now that she’s gone, he questions his existence. He lives in New York City, and yet no one knows about him. That is, until Elizabeth moves in two doors down and starts talking to him.

At first, Elizabeth is unaware that no one else can see Stephen. He shows her around the neighborhood and Central Park, pointing out the different people and their stories that only he is able to witness up close. The two teens click instantly, and their walks grow more frequent as their relationship develops. Soon, their relationship is sailing smoothly and everything seems to be okay. One evening, Elizabeth introduces Stephen to her younger brother, Laurie, who points out that there is no one there. Stephen finally comes clean and explains that he’s been cursed with invisibility by his grandfather.

Stephen and Elizabeth, along with Laurie, set out to vanquish the curse. The first stop on their quest is at a comic book store. According to Stephen’s neighbor who frequents the comic book store, a veteran spellseeker, or someone who can detect the presence of curses, works in the back of the store. When Elizabeth enters, the spellseeker, named Millie, immediately figures out that she is also a spellseeker, which is why she could see Stephen. Elizabeth and Millie work on strengthening her powers to prepare her for Stephen’s wicked grandfather.

Both Stephen and Elizabeth are forced to confront their weaknesses and their trust in each other is tested. Elizabeth, who has the weight of Stephen’s curse riding on her shoulders, must figure out a way to lift her boyfriend’s curse or she may never see him again.

The premise of the story is compelling in itself with humor and wit as added bonuses. A colorful world of spells and curses pulls you into Stephen’s story. The middle of the book seems slow, but after that, it jumps right into action again.

Cremer and Levithan do an admirable job of bringing out each character’s strengths and personality. Stephen’s observations about the world that goes on around him are unique and even relatable at times. Readers, though not invisible, will understand his loneliness and will know his joy when he meets Elizabeth.

Overall, Invisibility is great for those who love magic and teen romances.