Entertainment

Kara’s Cupcakes are phenominal

I have a friend who’s crazy about Kara’s Cupcakes. When she, a few other friends and I went to the cupcakery in celebration of her birthday, I finally understood why.

As soon as I stepped foot into the bakery, I felt a warm sense of welcome. On the right, there was a huge wall of pink, not the neon-blinding pink, but a soft, lighter pink. On the left, there was a space to sit down on some very comfortable chairs and enjoy the freshly baked vanilla cupcakes.

Although there were many people, we did not have to wait long for our turn to order. I stood staring at the wall for a few minutes in awe of the immense variety of flavors and unsure of which one to choose. I looked down and saw cupcakes in the glass display case that looked almost too perfect to eat. At last, I decided to try the s’mores cupcake.

It was a chocolate cupcake with a graham cracker crust, marshmallow frosting, and topped with a small piece of pink, circle-shaped fondant. It was really a s’more in cupcake form, not simply some artificial “s’more” flavoring.

The taste was phenomenal. The cake was soft, fluffy, chocolatey, and not overpoweringly sweet. The marshmallow frosting was toasted and golden. It was light and complemented the cake perfectly. That, along with the graham cracker crust on the bottom made it like a real s’more. It was possibly the best cupcake I have ever had, and I relished every bite.

Along with making extraordinary cupcakes, Kara’s Cupcakes is an eco-friendly business. They use local ingredients for their cupcakes as well as compostable boxes and utensils.

They offer a lot of flavors, from raspberry dazzle to banana caramel to chocolate coconut and much more. Some flavors of cupcakes are only made during a certain time of the year. They also offer gluten-free cupcakes.

Although the closest location is in Walnut Creek, the cupcakes are definitely worth the trip. I can’t wait to go back.