Entertainment

Django Unchained: intensely violent, but hilarious

It’s no wonder why Django Unchained was nominated for five Oscars including “Best Picture.” Quentin Tarantino is back with this new film that brings us a chaotic overdose of bloodshed, romance, comedy, revenge, and man’s inhumanity towards other men.

If you have ever seen Tarantino’s Inglorious Basterds and enjoyed it, you’ll perhaps fall in love with this movie, as it sticks to the director’s infamous warped sense of humor and bold creativity, turning history on its head to carry out a daring revenge fantasy.

Django Unchained takes on the horrors of slavery in the South prior to the war that centers around a slave named Django (Jamie Foxx). He is lucky enough to be freed by a German dentist-bounty hunter-genius Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz), who takes him on as his apprentice to kill wanted men for money.

With that, Tarantino has us off to the races, offering us one lurid sequence after another, providing audiences (who don’t get easily offended by language and violence) huge fits of laughter and excitement.

Under the help of Dr. King Schultz, Django transforms from a poor man in rags to suave assassin, seeking revenge to all horrible plantation owners while devising a plan to save his wife from the cruel grasp of a particular slaveholder named Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his betraying sidekick Stephen (Samuel L. Jackson).

There is no question that Django Unchained is sometimes offending, full of profanity and is intensely violent; I’ll even admit that I found myself cringing at some parts of cruelty between owners and slaves.

However, if one can look past some of the dark themes in this movie (that aren’t supposed to be taken seriously anyway), they can find one of the most hilariously genius, quasi-spaghetti Westerns ever to make on the big screen.