Entertainment

Young the Giant has an individual, intense sound

Once again, the magic of Pandora Radio has brought me to a new, delicious discovery: Young the Giant. The band was formed in Irvine, California in 2004, and only last year did it release its album to the public. It is obvious that the band’s songs have a southern California influence; while listening, you can practically imagine yourself on one of the beaches in the OC, smiling up at the summer sky.

The band isn’t quite well known yet, but some would consider that a good thing. The band retains an individuality that not all other male bands currently have, whether it be due to Sameer Gadhia’s flawless voice, the dreamy guitar riffs, the explosions of instruments, or sudden surprises of cello.

The lyrics in all 12 songs of the album, self-titled Young the Giant, are mentionable as well. In the track “Islands,” my favorite on the album, Gadhia breathily croons, “All the years I miss your warmth…have you missed my warmth?” The track is the slowest on the album but not at all the least entertaining or catchy. “Islands” incorporates lyrics describing a beach, but it can be argued that the beach is cleverly being compared to a lover.

“Apartment” is the next best song on the album, and in this track a relaxing, urban tone replaces the swings of SoCal influence. Gadhia’s tone is stronger in this song, and with this more intense tone, he is able to rile up the listener to sing along to lyrics like, “You carved a boat to sell my shadow… Now I walk alone.” This is a song that has a rare, bizarre quality. You can never get sick of it, no matter how many times you listen to it. Trust me, I know from personal experience.

Young the Giant was probably the best discovery I’ve ever made on Pandora Radio, and I’m still searching to find more bands like it. After listening to the album, you might find yourself suddenly humming one of the band’s many catchy tunes wherever you are. However, no one will get sick of your humming because the tunes are so likable.