Canon T3i captures approval of photographers

Canon expanded its sub-$1,000 dSLR lineup with the new EOS Rebel T3i. Rather than introduce new dSLR models at rock-bottom prices such as for Pentax and Sony, Canon brings out new cameras that contain more features for a good price. The Canon T3i (body only), sells for $799.99 and offers great new features.

The EOS Rebel XS, which the T3 will replace, has been around since the summer of 2008 and even Canon must think it’s a bit dowdy compared with competitors that, while old, aren’t quite as old as Canon’s. Especially since the more expensive Nikon D3100 has overtaken it in sales. The T2i, however, is still quite competitive and selling well; Canon plans to keep that model in its line at a cheaper price.

The T3i has an 18 megapixel CMOS, (complementary metal oxide semiconductor),  sensor (the same used in the EOS 60D), and will offer a full complement of  HD video recording options including 1080p at 24, 30, or 25 FPS (frames per second). The T3i will also have an ISO range up to 6400. It’s noise performance is mediocre, but don’t let that hinder you. Burst shooting tops out at 3.7 FPS, with the ability to record 6 RAW images or 34 large JPEGs.

In a lot of ways, the T3i is too little too late compared with its main competitor, Nikon. Burst speed performance is key for a lot of upgraders, generally for shooting sports and pets, and the camera still uses a years-old Autofocus system which does not appeal to many consumers.

The 18 megapixel resolution simply doesn’t matter in comparison to those. On the flip side, the T3i’s video capabilities look like it will be the entry-level model of choice for shooting video; AVCHD (Advanced Video Coding High Definition) remains a major pain in the…well you know, to deal with for creative shooting because it only supports interlaced video at 1080 and the standard bit rate is capped at 21 megabits per second.

Overall, the new Canon T3i is easy to use and a  reliable new dSLR. Although it is a bit pricey, buying a dSLR is a good investment, as long as you don’t drop it or throw it in a fire and in many cases, submerge it in water.

One thought on “Canon T3i captures approval of photographers

• Brian

The T3i does indeed do progressive 1080HD, not just interlaced. It also does 720p up to 60fps for slow-mo shots.

With the Magic Lantern firmware, you can also overcome the bitrate limit (and gain a whack more other features too). Your mileage may vary however, and you will need a fast SDHC card, i.e. class 10 or higher. I just did a video test file with a bitrate of 64.79Mbps solid on a class 10 card.